January 15, 2012

SNOW!










It's been 2 years since we saw snow, here in Seattle. There is something about snow, for me, that completes Winter. It makes the season come alive and allows for winter activities, like sledding, throwing snowballs, and precariously slipping and sliding, which we can't experience otherwise. When it doesn't snow...well, we just suck it up and wait for next year.

Maybe it's because we haven't seen snow for a couple of years that I noticed something about it. Snow has a gentle magic that other forms of weather just don't have. Rain isn't gentle. Wind isn't gentle, no sir. But snow softly blankets everything and has a sweet frailty that I can't help but fall in love with. One jiggle of a snowy branch sends all of the snow falling to the ground. I must have noticed this because this has been my year to explore the gentler sides of myself. My inner snowfall.

It also brings people (neighbors) out of the woodwork. I paused a moment to look around at all of the families having fun at the top of the sledding hill. Do all of these families live around here? No one looked familiar. Snow was the common factor bringing everyone out, allowing the kids to have extreme Winter fun and giving the adults a chance to let loose, sled fast, and be reminded what it feels like to be a kid again.

No comments: