March 29, 2013

Scottie Quilt Fini!



If you are reading this, it means I successfully managed to package up myself, my camera, my kids, my lint roller, and this freshly completed Scottie Quilt, and ventured out into the Spring afternoon to take pictures. The last stitch in the binding went on late last night. This quilt is headed to France for my Aunt Nina's birthday in May.

This is a value quilt. You'll see the play between the dark and light colors is what makes the design pop. I also wanted to use Pearl Bracelets fabric by Lizzy House. They add such wondrous movement! There are two slim scrappy borders, one light value on the inside and a  dark one against the binding. The binding is mostly black with little Champagne-style bubbles.






This quilt is a bold, super eye-popper with a bright radiating diamond design which is done in black, red, white and gray.  Honestly, I feel like the boldness got away from me and flew a little out of control. My Aunt Nina is a gentle soul who loves floral fabrics and I hope she remotely likes it. In fact, I want her to know it's okay if she re-gifts it. It's that bold.

Choosing the back was challenging as well. What do you put on the back of such an eye-popping front? I would have chosen a rich soft cotton flannel plaid with reds and greens, but could not find it. Instead I chose  a primary color scheme with a little french blue and soft yellow.



Hopefully as Aunt Nina snuggles with this quilt, the charming Scotties and light value fabrics, especially the Riley Blake stitch instructions, will come into view. The all cotton batting will keep her lap (and cat) warm, and the love I sewed along with each stitch will melt all around her. It's a handmade quilt, after-all. Before the fabrics, colors, and design are chosen, there's love. 



 Linking up to Finish it up Friday! Happy Quilting!

Scottie fabric - Great Scott by Greta Lynn for Benartex Fabrics
Red and black plaid -  Great Scott by Greta Lynn for Benartex Fabrics
Pearl Bracelet fabric, black - Lizzy House and Andover fabrics
Stitch instructions - Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet for Riley Blake Designs.
 

12 comments:

audrey said...

This quilt is super fun! I love the way the colors play!

JHNickodemus said...

Wow! That looks great! How fun that you kind of have two different looks on each side. Congrats on your finish!

Foster said...

Beautiful. Your aunt will love it. I like how you did the binding so neatly and I'm assuming by machine. Looks great.

joanold said...

What lovely fabrics you have used. A super quilt that I'm sure your aunt will love.

Little Island Quilting said...

Terrific colours. Makes your quilt look so striking.

Glinda ♥ said...

Love the quilt, the quilting and the backing ... a very nice finish :)

Michelle said...

Those fabrics are fantastic -- I love the pearl bracelets!

Nana said...

Fabric choices are fantastic. Colors are perfect.

Unknown said...

I knew exactly who this was meant for before reading your comments :) She will LOVE it!

Shauna said...

Stunning! I'm sure your Auntie will love your quilt - who wouldn't, it's a lovely finish!!

Cutie and Company Quilts said...

Thank you for your kind words of praise! I *hope* she likes it. I have enjoyed looking at all of your beautiful finishes this week. Happy Weekend! (Hi Mary Jo!!!)

viviane said...

It's so beautifull... Congratulations !