February 16, 2012

Valentine's revisited


 I'm not much of a fan of Valentine's day. There have been years where I have celebrated it alone, years where I forgot the holiday was going on at all, and - then on the other hand - years with Cutie where we celebrate our love with a steak dinner, nice wine, and loving gazes. I have always felt that everyday is a good day to celebrate those we love, not just one day designated for the emotion.

Valentine's day was on Tuesday and with our budget being so tight, I felt like there was little I could do in the way of fancy celebration dinners etc, except say with heartfelt sincerity, "I love you." I have also been in quite a funk lately with holdups like that broken foot pedal and some surprise debt (don't ask).

Then something happened...Cutie came home early this Valentine's day with a red rose, some lovely wine, and a big bar of chocolate (oh be still my heart!). And then he fixed my foot pedal!!!

And then he fixed my foot pedal!!! 

This is absolutely one of the things I love about Cutie. He can fix anything. Anything. I have seen him take the vacuum apart, computer, espresso machine, kids' toys, on and on, fixing each one as he goes. And not just dusting inside said appliances, he's messing with the mother board and such. He has done numerous car repairs - replacing starters, bleeding breaks, tune ups, heaters, oil, diagnostic...It's truly amazing. I am in awe.

I stayed up until 1am this Valentine's free motion quilting, thanks to Cutie and his handy gift. I finished the quilting on the Game Board quilt, just the binding is left to do. But, more importantly, my enthusiasm and excitement are back and I'm ready to go!

So, in summary, this Valentines' day was a mix. A mix of funk, gratefulness, awe and appreciation for my partner, who knows what the perfect gift is - using his natural talent to fix something necessary. Thank you.

No comments: