November 27, 2012

Very versatile

Every once in awhile, I find myself stopped and daydreaming about how much I love quilts. In a recent daydream episode, I thought about how versatile quilting is for a means of making any number of things, such as hot pads and table runners. Then I thought about how quilting is one of the only art forms that produces something excruciatingly beautiful...and usable! A quilt can brighten a room, grace the arm of a chair, lay across a bed, keep you warm, add color and luxury to a room, and -when it's all said and done- be thrown into the wash with the colors pile.

Forgive me, I am passionate about my craft. Let's bring it back to center. I wanted to touch on how versatile quilting is for making things other than quilts.  I have an item to share with you that is a little different but something I have come to love. Bathmats. Yes, quilted bathmats!







What a treasure these have become. First, a quilted bathmat has multiple layers so it is soft and welcoming for freshly shower feet. Second, it is made of  terry cloth so it can be thrown into the wash, then dried, and come out fluffy and clean. And lastly, and this is the best point, it is a funky handmade item that contains more love, per stitch, than anything bought in a store.




My Father is moving into his own home and I made a few quilted items for his new space, 2 bathmats and 2 hot pads, so far.  I am so proud of my dad. He has been through a very hard time and he came out on top, a homeowner, and owner of some lovingly handmade things!












No comments: