October 27, 2011

Utili-quilt



This is a quilt I made in 2010 after using every fabric in the scrap bag. It is a scrap purge quilt (and even some old clothes) and I consider it a "color study design."

The very special thing about this quilt is the olive green fabric that is placed in the upper left corner. It is fabric from the shirt Cuite was wearing when we met. The elbows in the shirt had become holes and it was time to retire it...but I just couldn't part with it. I cut out as many squares from the shirt as I could and sewed it into this quilt.

The other very special thing about this quilt is its utilitarian purpose. The batting is an old sheet instead of puffy cotton fill so the quilt has a fantastic weight to it. It is heavy, durable, and packs down small so it's easy to shove in a backpack. This is our play quilt. It becomes a cave, or a wall (when thrown over the dinner table). We use it as a picnic blanket, a beach blanket, for tea parties, and it comes camping with us every time. It has become...a big part of the family.

Every time I see the quilt, I see Cutie's shirt. I am starting to believe the shirt has gotten more wear in the quilt than it did as a shirt. It's also a nice reminder of how far we have come together since that first meeting. 

Happy Quilting!

No comments: